If you’re new to BookBub Ads, you’re probably wondering how to best take advantage of the platform to market your books. BookBub Ads allows you to reach millions of power readers any time with any title, so there are lots of options!
In this post we’ll outline seven ideas for use cases for BookBub Ads. We hope this gives you inspiration for campaigns to run!
1. Promote a new release
BookBub Ads can be a great way to promote new releases to BookBub’s audience of highly engaged power readers. (68% of BookBub subscribers read at least one book a week, about a third read a book every day, and 77% buy full-priced books in addition to discounted titles.)
If getting a high return on investment (ROI) for your new release ad is your primary goal, we recommend using author targeting to reach a very specific audience. This will help you target readers who have expressed interest in authors who write similar books to the one you’re promoting, and can help increase click-through rates. On the other hand, if exposure and scale are your objectives, try using fewer targeting options to reach a broader audience.
2. Increase revenue for a full-priced book
BookBub Ads give marketers a way to promote full-priced books that are not eligible for BookBub Featured Deals.
To drive the most revenue possible, we recommend targeting your BookBub Ad to the most relevant audience. You can target readers based on category preference, retailer, region, and author interest. Here are a few targeting strategies partners have used successfully:
- Target readers who have expressed interest in you and your books by inputting your own name in the Refine by Author field (or the name of the promoted book’s author).
- Target readers who have expressed interest in authors who write books similar to the one you’re promoting. Consider adding a comparison to or blurb from those authors in the ad creative, if you have one.
Fine-tuning your audience will help you reach readers most likely to be interested in the book, thereby driving the most efficient click-through rate possible and helping to net a positive ROI.
3. Run retailer-specific promotions
BookBub ads allow you to target readers with specific retailer preferences. This is especially helpful for a two main use cases:
- Create separate ad campaigns for readers interested in each retailer, linking each ad directly to the correct retailer page. Once you create the first ad, it’s easy to clone the ad and create a separate ad for each retailer.
- If your book or promotion is only available at a specific retailer, you can target readers who prefer just that retailer. This way you won’t waste ad spend on irrelevant readers.
Consider including copy in the creative mentioning the retailer for each campaign, like these ads did:
4. Drive exposure for a discounted book (even if it wasn’t selected for a Featured Deal)
The selection process for BookBub Featured Deals is highly competitive. We receive between 100 and 300 submissions per day, and we’re only able to select about 20% of them for Featured Deals.
If a book you submitted for a Featured Deal wasn’t selected, you can still run a BookBub Ad to let BookBub readers know about the price promotion. BookBub Ads are completely separate from Featured Deals, and because there’s no editorial review or selection process, anyone can run an ad at any time.
With BookBub Ads, you can also target readers who are subscribed to our categories by selecting “Add Categories” in the Audience section of the creation form.
However, remember that you also have the opportunity to target fans of particular authors. While category targeting can give your ad a broad reach, author targeting usually results in higher engagement and ROI-positive ad campaigns. You can combine author and category targeting to reach only the most relevant readers for your books.
5. After running a Featured Deal, promote the sequel
Running Featured Deals for books with sequels often drives sales of the sequel, especially if you promote the sequel in the back matter of the discounted book. BookBub Ads can provide another way to accelerate sequel sales.
Advertisers often use one of two targeting strategies:
- Target by author interest. Input your own name in the Refine by Author field (if you’re a publisher, input the name of the promoted book’s author). This will target anyone who has already expressed interest in you and your books, including the book promoted with a Featured Deal.
- Target the audience that received the Featured Deal by picking the category that matches the list your Featured Deal was sent to. You may even want to reference the price-promoted book in the ad creative so readers can easily tell that the books are connected.
6. Create buzz for an upcoming release
You can use BookBub Ads to promote an upcoming release and build buzz. There are several approaches you could take:
- Promote the book’s preorder page. On the retailers that allow them, get a future title up for preorder and let people purchase their copy as soon as possible. Link directly to the preorder page in the BookBub Ad.
- Promote a free sample on retailer sites. Upload an excerpt — the first chapter or first few chapters of a book — as its own ebook with a separate product page. Make it clear in the title, description, and ad copy that this is just a sample to avoid disappointing readers. On the last page of the sample, include a link to purchase the full copy.
- Promote a PDF sample on your website. Make sure your landing page allows people to download the PDF for free, without having to enter an email address. On the last page of the PDF, include a link to purchase the full copy.
7. Increase revenue for titles with alternative content formats
BookBub Ads also give you a way to promote content types that are not eligible for Featured Deals, including:
- Multi-author box sets
- Short stories
- And more!
Result for different content types vary widely across different audiences and genres, so be sure to test your campaigns as you ramp them up.
What other ways do you plan on using BookBub Ads to accomplish your book marketing goals? Let us know in the comments below!
Want to share this post? Here are ready-made tweets:
Click to tweet: 7 Book Marketing Goals You Can Accomplish With @BookBub Ads – http://bit.ly/28JoXcP by @DianaUrban #bookmarketing #pubtip
Click to tweet: BookBub Ads let you to reach millions of readers any time w/any book so there are many campaigns you can run! Ideas: http://bit.ly/28JoXcP