Note: This post was updated on April 13, 2022 to reflect some changes we’ve made to the way we surface Recommendations to BookBub readers.
Readers love getting book recommendations from people they trust. In fact, close to 50% of BookBub’s members say it’s one of the primary ways they find new books to buy.
Millions of BookBub members already get recommendations from fellow readers on BookBub.com, but many have told us they want to hear from their favorite authors as well. So we’re excited to tell our partners about this free way to engage with fans! Posting a recommendation on BookBub.com is a great way for any author to interact with their followers in a positive, friendly, book-focused environment.
Sharing a recommendation on BookBub helps authors:
- Stay top-of-mind with their BookBub followers in the US
- Cross-promote fellow authors and help each other get discovered
- Engage with BookBub’s community of enthusiastic power readers
- Boost visibility to readers visiting BookBub.com
How does it work?
Authors can post recommendations by clicking “Review” on any book’s page on BookBub.com. We share Recommendations in a few different ways throughout our platform, including on book pages and in the social feed of readers who follow the author who posted the recommendation.
We’ll also email BookBub users anytime a book recommended by someone they follow has a live Featured Deal or Short List feature.
Learn about all the ways recommendations can boost visibility for books and authors here.
*Note that at this time, BookBub Recommendations are only visible to members in the US.
Tips for making recommendations
This tool is designed to help authors build relationships with their followers, and for readers to discover new books they’ll love. 76% of BookBub readers have purchased books because they were recommended by an author they loved — so as an author posting recommendations, you have a lot of influence! Keep these best practices in mind to make the most of this free feature:
- Be authentic. Only recommend books and authors you truly enjoyed.
- Recommend books your readers will enjoy. Your followers are likely to be interested in books similar to the ones you write, so try to suggest books in your own genre or a comparable one.
- Post a recommendation when you see a Featured Deal for a book you loved. If the deal is still available the next day, we’ll email your new recommendation to your followers so they can snag the deal, too!
- Post a recommendation whenever you finish reading a book. The more recommendations you’ve posted, the more likely it is that we’ll feature one of the books you reviewed. We’ll email your followers about deals on any books you’ve recommended in the last five years.
- Engage with your readers. Your followers may comment on your recommendations. Feel free to respond to these comments! Similarly, consider liking or commenting on recommendations readers (or other authors!) post for your books. Readers will be excited to interact directly with an author they love.
- Pay it forward. If a fellow author recommends one of your books, congratulations! We’re hoping to create a positive community at BookBub, so consider paying it forward by posting a recommendation of your own.
How to get started
If you don’t yet have a BookBub Author Profile, claim yours here!
If you’re ready to share your first recommendation, get started here by searching for the book you want to recommend. You can always post a recommendation by searching for the book on BookBub.com and clicking the “Review” button when you’ve landed on that book’s page.
Once you click “Review,” simply fill in the requested information. We’re aiming to create a positive book community, so while all reviews will appear on the book’s page on BookBub.com, only recommendations will be shared in readers’ feeds and emails.
If you have any questions about BookBub Recommendations, please let us know in the comments below, or feel free to send any feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to share this post? Here are ready-made tweets!
Click to tweet: BookBub Recommendations lets authors connect with readers and spread the word about books they love! Want to try it? http://bit.ly/bbrecom
Click to tweet: Authors! Posting a recommendation on BookBub.com is a great way to interact with your followers in a positive, friendly, book-focused environment. http://bit.ly/bbrecom