Readers love getting book recommendations from people they trust. In fact, close to 50% of BookBub’s members say it’s one of the primary ways they find new books to buy.
Millions of BookBub members already get recommendations from fellow readers on BookBub.com, but many have told us they want to hear from their favorite authors as well. So we’re excited to tell our partners about this free way to engage with fans! Posting a recommendation on BookBub.com is a great way for any author to interact with their followers in a positive, friendly, book-focused environment.
Sharing a recommendation on BookBub helps authors:
- Stay top-of-mind with their BookBub followers in the US
- Cross-promote fellow authors and help each other get discovered
- Engage with BookBub’s community of enthusiastic power readers
- Boost visibility to readers visiting BookBub.com
How does it work?
Authors can post recommendations by clicking “Review” on any book’s page on BookBub.com. Once an author posts a recommendation, it will appear in their followers’ Recommendations feed on BookBub.com. Followers will also be alerted to unseen recommendations via a weekly digest email, so authors can be sure all their followers have an opportunity to see their post.
Finally, recommendations appear on book pages throughout BookBub.com, so anyone looking for information about a book will see recommendations for that book from authors and fellow readers. In the future, we plan to build features to further boost contributing authors’ visibility and help them grow their following by recommending books.
*Note that at this time, BookBub Recommendations are only visible to members in the US.
Tips for making recommendations
For authors ready to start posting recommendations, remember this tool is for helping you build your relationship with your followers. So it’s important to be selective and keep your recommendations authentic — your readers want to hear about books you truly enjoyed! Keep these additional best practices in mind to make the most of this free feature:
- Recommend books your readers will enjoy. Your followers are most likely to be interested in books similar to the ones they love by you, so try to suggest books in your own genre or a comparable one.
- Post a recommendation 1-3 times per month. Aim to post often enough to keep your followers engaged, but not so often that you’re overwhelming them with content.
- Engage with your readers. Your followers may comment on your recommendations. Feel free to respond to these comments! Similarly, consider liking or commenting on recommendations readers post for your books. Readers will be excited to interact directly with an author they love.
- Pay it forward. If a fellow author recommends one of your books, congratulations! We’re hoping to create a positive community at BookBub, so consider paying it forward by posting a recommendation of your own.
How to get started
If you don’t yet have a BookBub Author Profile, claim yours here!
If you’re ready to share your first recommendation, get started here by searching for the book you want to recommend. You can always post a recommendation by searching for the book on BookBub.com and clicking the “Review” button when you’ve landed on that book’s page.
Once you click “Review,” simply fill in the requested information. We’re aiming to create a positive book community, so while all reviews will appear on the book’s page on BookBub.com, only recommendations will be shared in readers’ feeds and emails.
If you have any questions about BookBub Recommendations, please let us know in the comments below, or feel free to send any feedback to email@example.com!
Want to share this post? Here are ready-made tweets!
Click to tweet: BookBub Recommendations lets authors connect with readers and spread the word about books they love! Want to try it? http://bit.ly/bbrecom
Click to tweet: Authors! Posting a recommendation on BookBub.com is a great way to interact with your followers in a positive, friendly, book-focused environment. http://bit.ly/bbrecom